Bohemian Rhapsody Review (SPOILERS)

Nick Evans, Senior Movie Critic

I’ll start with a spoiler free review. This movie is great, and I highly recommend seeing it. After I left the theater, I realized that this movie does do justice to the greatness Queen. The soundtrack to this movie is great. Every five minutes, as a new track played, I realized I knew every word to the song that Freddie Mercury was singing. This movie gives a great description of how the band struggled to greatness. Bohemian Rhapsody does justice to Mercury’s story, and to the band’s. Queen is great, this movie is great, the acting is great, and I believe that you should go and see it.

Now into the spoilers… the rise and fall of the great Freddie Mercury is depicted very well in Bohemian Rhapsody. Rami Malek, who plays Mercury, is brilliant. The movie shows how insane Mercury was, in all the best ways. Mercury, who in real life and in the movie, is the lead singer of Queen and a homosexual who contracted AIDs. His life was short-lived, as he died at 45. Malek’s acting is amazing, as he portrays Mercury in a truly fabulous light. Malek is able to get the point across that Mercury’s extravagant was juxtaposed with sadness and confusion.

Although Malek’s performance of Mercury steals the show, Bohemian Rhapsody’s supporting cast is also great. Ben Hardy as Roger Taylor, Queen drummer, provides great comedy throughout the movie. This movie has many great moments. Mercury’s musical mind shines through the movie early, as the band creates the masterful piece, Bohemian Rhapsody. This bombastic piece of music is created through very experimental sound, which makes the piece meaningless nature have great meaning. As they try to get the song as the radio, Mercury and his fellow bandmates confidence portray what makes Queen great: they knew they were making great music, and all people had to do was listen. As the band’s success grows, so does Mercury’s head. Malek shows that Mercury strived for greatness, to be the best band ever. Every second Mercury is on the stage, he owns every second of it. The band had times of hardship, as Mercury becomes prideful. Through this, they strived to create great music even though tensions do arise. As the band can’t deal with the extravagance of Mercury, Queen’s bass player Joseph Mazzello, played by John Deacon, keeps the band alive with the bass line of  “Another One Bites The Dust”. As the band finally breaks up due to Mercury’s solo deal to CBS records, Mercury hits rock bottom. This is where Malek’s performance really shines. Malek shows that there is more to life than sex, drugs, and alcohol. He shows that he needs friendship. When he meets up with his ex-wife, Mary Austin, he realizes he needs his family back, which happens to be the members of Queen. The movie and the band end with one last performance at Live AIDs, a concert to raise money for research to find a cure for AIDs. This performance is the best part of the movie, as the band shows how great it is to be with the people you love doing the things you love. This movie was great.

8/10

Nick Evans is a beat writer for the Spinnaker as well as a sports writer, movie critic, music critic, tv show critic, food critic, school critic, I’m using the word “critic” so many times it doesn’t even sound like a word anymore.