Cohasset Sports: Is This The Golden Age?

“In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened” - Vin Scully

I got a magic trick. Name any sport that’s played in the high school fall season. Got your pick? Now think, how well did that team do this fall season? Did they have a winning record, or possibly win a league, south sectional, or maybe even state title? You’re probably thinking to yourself, Wow! How did Ian just guess that? Well, what if I told you that every single fall sports team had a winning record this year, with several having some sort of title to go with it. In fact, there was a time where Cohasset was the only town in Massachusetts to have every sports team still alive. Don’t believe me, that’s ok, because I am going to dive into every fall sports team this year, including Cheerleading, and prove to you just how well Cohasset Sports performed this fall.

Football

When a high school has a well performing football team, it seems as if the charisma and the overall atmosphere of a high school significantly improves. Football is the pinnacle of all high school sports. It’s the most spectated, most hyped, and most funded sport of all the sports, regardless of it the sport occurs in the fall, winter or spring. Fortunately, Cohasset football team has shined this year. The football team finished their regular season off at 5-2, with losses to Mashpee and Abington. How ironic that in the first two rounds of the playoffs, Cohasset knocked off Mashpee and Abington respectively. The Abington game seemed to come easy for the Skippers after a tough first quarter, knocking off the “Green Wave” 33-16. After handling a tough offensive Mashpee team, the magic ended in the game before the State Championship against St. Mary’s. Despite coming up short, the football team made an excellent push and knocked off a few very good teams in the process.

Boys Soccer

It’s fair to say the boys soccer season was another success. The season started off a little rough, suffering back to back losses to both Carver and Whitman-Hanson. After suffering two more early losses to Mashpee and Norwell, the Skippers finished off the regular season going 10-0-2 with notable wins against East Bridgewater and Mashpee. The 5 seeded Cohasset team began their playoff push against a strong Westport team, coming out victorious 2-0. Next came a big win against 4 seed Sacred Heart 2-0 . Then came a big win against the number 1 seed versus South Nantucket in a penalty shootout. This win advanced the team into the South Sectional Final, where they faced off against a Carver powerhouse that defeated Cohasset earlier this season. Carver took a 1-0 lead into halftime, but a goal from captain Michael McDougald and a fantastic own goal by some Carver bum sealed a 2-1 victory. The Skippers improbable season came to an end in the final four against a tough St. Mary’s team 2-1 at Marshfield High School. Senior captains Chris Longo, Ian Dunkelberger, and Michael McDougald led the charge for the Skippers this season.

Girls Soccer

Similar to the boys team, the Girls Soccer team finished off a tremendous year. Sure they were dominant, but there was something about home field advantage that clicked with the Girls team. The team had an overall regular season record of 15-4-3, while having an unprecedented 10-1-1 record at home. That lone loss came to a real tough Norwell team. That loss, however, seemed to be a much needed turning point in the girls season, as they finished off the regular season 11-1-1 through the last 13 games. When playoffs came, the girls demolished two tough teams in Coyle-Cassidy and Holbrook 8-2 and 7-1 respectively. In the game which would’ve clinched a South-Sectional final for the team, they were defeated by an excellent Millis team 1-0 in PK’s. A Penalty Shootout that lasted 8 FREAKING ROUNDS. Overall, it’s safe to conclude that the soccer teams where outstanding this year.

Golf

Solid Season for Golf this team. The team had a plefurtha of talent from Seniors and underclassmen alike. Leading the way were Senior Captains Brad Albanese and Joe Kenealy. Overall, the team finished with a record of 8-3, with two of those coming to the Mashpee powerhouse. Wins came against Norwell, Abington, and Rockland to name a few. Brad came in 3rd in the league meet, solidifying a solid individual season for him. Joe and Conor Kenealy also stood out on the green, both shooting respected scores throughout the year. Femur snap survivor and fellow Spinnaker employee Andrew McSheffery also had a phenomenal year racking up several individual wins of his own. Another fellow Spinnaker writer Nick Evans finished the season with a whopping 1-2 record. Overall, strong outings from the boys this year.

Boys Cross Country

Ok, now this is epic. History was made this season for the boys cross country team. To start, the boys went 7-1 in the league winning the Tobin Division for the 3rd straight time. They then won the full league championship meet, putting kids in 3rd, 5th, 6th, 10th, and 13th in that race. And then, the boys showed up at the EMASS state meet, placing second overall as a team. You’re probably thinking, “Oh, sounds like a good season”. Well wait until you hear this. For the first time in school history, the boys qualified for the All-State meet, where they placed 12th. Furthermore, Torey Vater set the SCHOOL RECORD running a 16:57 5k. Oh and if that doesn’t float your boat, how about demolishing St. Mary’s in the state meet. You’re welcome Football and Soccer. If for some anomalous reason you are still unsatisfied, the XC team was the last Cohasset team’s season to conclude. Safe to say it was a successful year for the runnas. Oh and if you were wondering, that cute kid over there, that’s me.

Girls Cross Country

The Girls XC team had a slightly less impressive season relative to the boys; impressive nonetheless. Similar to the boys team, the girls took home a Tobin Division League Championship for the first time in school history. Individually, Elise Wimberly set a course record along with winning 7 individual meets. The Girls team finished 4th in the full league meet, having kids come in 6th and 14th. Elise also qualified for the All State meet. Expect some more big things from the team in the future.

Field Hockey

The Field Hockey team has put together yet another fantastic season under the leadership of Coach/Ms. G. Notable regular season wins for the field hockey team include wins against East Bridgewater. After capping off a successful regular season, the Fhockey team made a deep push in the playoffs. After cruising by several opponents, the team faced a tremendous Foxboro team. The girls came away victorious 3-2 in a triple overtime thriller. Unfortunately, in the South Finals, the team ran into a tough Dennis-Yarmouth game played in Taunton. Although the girls would’ve liked a Championship trophy, it was a valiant effort.

Cheerleading

Hey all you Skipper Fans, Let me hear you clap your hands! Is it safe to say this was the greatest Cheerleading team in Cohasset history? Maybe. If I told you this was the first regional appearance in Cheerleading history, would that change your mind? Maybe. If I told you that they finished second in the league, and fourth in the D4 Regional Event in an event that featured 54 teams? Possibly. If you’re still not convinced, you probably are very much unliked by many people. So yes, I think it’s safe to say this was the greatest Cheerleading team in School History.