Winter Sports Recap: Golden Age Confirmed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ian Turpel, Senior Contributor

A few months ago it was only a question: “Is this the Golden Age of Cohasset High School sports?” It was a memorable fall season, to say the least. Every team had a winning record, and several of those teams were league champs and/or made deep playoff runs. Spoiler Alert: it was much of the same this year. The success of our winter sports teams was quite frankly unsurmountable. Because I’m not in the business of wasting time, let’s dive into our winter sports (that’s a swimming joke because you dive into the water haha).

Boys Basketball

Under the managerial wizardry of Coach Bo Ruggerio, the boy’s basketball team pulled off another extremely successful season with a dominantly sophomore team. Senior captains Brad Albanese and Mark Mahoney have guided the Skippers through an outstanding regular season. One regular season game versus Mashpee stood out. On February 4th, Bo received his 500th win after narrowly defeating a Mashpee powerhouse 59-58. Sophomore standout Liam Cunnie lead the charge with 25 points in that game. Cohasset earned the 6th seed in the D4 South bracket. They cruised by an utterly lackluster Westport team 62-38 in the first round (shout out to the 4-foot tall kid on Westport who played lockdown defense on the 6’4’’ Thomas Chenette). They then upset a solid Old Colony RVT 77-52 in a nailbiter (no one actually was biting their nails please don’t take that seriously). Coho’s first challenge came against a #2 seeded Cape Cod Academy, where sophomore Will Grudinskas hit 3 of 4 free throws at the end to put Cohasset ahead 53-50. The boys improbable run came to an end against a tough Abington team in the South Sectional Finals. Overall, it was another highly successful season for the boy’s basketball team. Spirit Award goes to Senior George Grech, who is still looking to play meaningful minutes.

Girls Basketball

Our friends over at The Cohasset Mariner recently wrote an article about the Girls Basketball team titled “UMBCohasset”. I’m here to tell you that the title is unfitting. For those who don’t understand this headline, or for those who live under rocks, here is some background. Last year in the Division 1 NCAA Men’s basketball tournament (otherwise known as March Madness), a 16 seeded University of Maryland Baltimore County Basketball team upset a 1 seeded University of Virginia team in the first round of the playoffs. Up until that point, No men’s D1 team seeded 16th has ever defeated a 1 seed. Similarly, the Girls Basketball team snuck into the D4 Girls Playoff Bracket as a 16 seed and defeated a 1 seeded West Bridgewater team, hence the title “UMBCohasset”. However, I’m here to argue that this team’s run was insurmountably more impressive than UMBC. To begin, if you asked any logical thinking human being if the Skippers would’ve made the playoffs after beginning their season 1-7, they would tell you no. If you then asked could they pull this feat off without one senior on the team, the answer would be an even harder no. If you asked these same people come playoff time if they could defeat the 1 seeded West Bridgewater team, again the answer is no. You see the theme here. This final point really separates Cohasset from UMBC. Come the second round, the girls continued their Cinderella run by defeating a powerhouse Mashpee team, something that UMBC couldn’t do. My point: this Girls team was special. Lead by junior Molly Greer, sophomore Kate Cunning, and freshman Sara Cullinan, the Lady Skips pulled off one of the most improbable runs since the 2001 Oakland A’s (go watch the movie Moneyball if you don’t get that reference).

Wrestling

Wrestling coach Mr. Torin Sweeney better be enshrined in some sort of Wrestling Coaching Hall of Fame after this season (as if the first 30+ years of unprecedented success is not enough). Sweeney’s wrestlers posted a 22-3 team regular season record, the most single-season wins in franchise history.  This unreal record came in help to a senior-dominated team. Seven of the boys on the team were State qualifiers, with three of those making the All-State Tournament. Junior Daniel Nolan (145 lbs.) is the standout on the team, who finished with a 36-10 record on the season and became the fastest Cohasset wrestler to reach 100 wins. Nolan placed 6th at All-States and will look to improve on that next year. The other two All-state qualifiers were sophomore Shane Galvin (108) and Senior Captain Turner Martell (138) who both placed 7th. Senior Lado Tserelov would have likely been at this meet as well (and likely placed well), but had to withdraw from the State meet due to infectious mononucleosis. He finished his season 31-4 and racked up a career 92 wins. Senior Captain Joe Donoghue, Junior Sam Fox, and Freshman Ben Ford were the other three State qualifiers. Spinnaker alumni Aaron Froio, Michael Milanoski, Bobby Allen and Kevin Perrone were also huge parts of the grappler’s success this season. May Slum live on forever.

Swimming

Similarly to wrestling, the swimming saw a boatload of individual success. For starters, Loyola Maryland commit and Senior Captain Dean Spicer had another incredible season. The lone State qualifier for the boy’s team wrapped up a fantastic season by placing second in the 500 freestyle (4:45.20) and fifth in the 200 freestyle (1:46.14), breaking a school record that Clarke Indek had set in 2014. On the flip side, the girl’s team featured several state qualifiers. The most notable swimmer on the girl’s side this season was Emily Appleton, who swam a nearly flawless 5:01.53 20-length freestyle which was good enough to place 1st in the State. She will join Hope Kissick and Julia Klier as the only state champ swimmers from Cohasset. Junior Sarah Rice clocked near lifetime personal best times in the 100 backstrokes (59.61) and 100 fly (58.07), landing her top-six podium medals for both events. Junior Anna Parks swam a new school record in the 50 free (25.14) and finished top eight in the 100 fly. The three aforementioned girls along with Senior Hannah Burnett also set a school record in the 200 medley at 1:55.32 at the state meet. These outstanding performances secured the girls a 5th place overall finish as a team at the State meet. With school records left and right, this season will go down as one of the greatest in Skipper swimming history.

Gymnastics

I’m going to be straight up honest: I know pretty much nothing about Gymnastics except people usually do flips and stuff and it looks really cool and difficult. I also know that Cohasset has a pretty good Gymnastics program as well. The gymnastics team, which is a Co-op with Norwell, placed fourth in the Cranberry League. This is the team’s third straight top 4 placement in the Cranberry League (1st in 2017 and 2nd in 2018). The team put up a total of 127.5 points at the meet. Notable Gymnasts on the team from Cohasset include Senior Captain Lauren Scott and Senior Isabella Russell. Overall, it was another successful season for the Cohasset/Norwell Gymnastics team, which adds to the overwhelming success that Cohasset has shown this winter.

Boys Hockey

Boys Hockey may be the one outlier on this whole list. Nevertheless, the Boys Hockey team still found lots of success, even if the record didn’t portray that. The fact of the matter is the team has lost a numerous amount of key pieces the past two years that leaves the talent pool shallower than usual. Critics believed this team wouldn’t even grind out one win this whole season. A 7-10-3 regular season record might not seem crazy by any standards, but with the adversity that the boys faced, we can conclude that this season was indeed a success for the boy’s team. The team was led by Senior Captain and South Shore League Player Of the Year Matt Lund, who led the whole league in goals. Other key pieces were Senior Captain Thomas Broderick, Junior Jack Fitzpatrick, and Freshman Danny Telachi. Some notable wins came against Abington, East Bridgewater, and Rockland. Lund capped off an incredible career with a six-goal performance against Rockland on Senior Night. The “Most likely to not get any playing time and not complain about it even though he’s a Senior” award goes to Spinnaker alumni Nicholas Evans.

Girls Hockey

Big things came out of the Cohasset/Hanover jointed Girls Ice Hockey team. Led by Coaching legend Mrs. Deb Beal, the girls posted another winning season and clinched another playoff berth. A big thing that made the girls team so dominant was their depth. Although it’s a primarily younger team, there is clear talent throughout the whole organization. At the top of the talent pool were Captains Morgan Foley (Hanover), Olivia Hussey (Hanover), and Junior Lauren Farren (Cohasset). These three, along with many others, helped fill the roles of graduates very well. The girls ended up posting a 10-9-1 record which was enough to punch a ticket to the yoffs. Unfortunately, the girls run was halted shorter than hoped for. In the first round, Cohasset/Hanover went up against a gritty Bishop-Fenwick team, in which they lost in 2OT 3-2. Despite this heartbreak, it’s safe to say the puck team went off this season and will be well-equipped for years to come.