Cures to a Stressful Epidemic

Causes and Effects of Stress Management

Shaw Hutton

An epidemic for the last century has been spreading around many public and private schools: stress. While students and teachers have dealt with stress before, some people have no coping strategies for stress. People who have to confront stress on a subject, activity, etc. decide to give up before they even understand the challenge. The place of hopelessness in the matter leads to only more stress that causes a person to have a ‘mid-life crisis’ and fail their task. As there are many causes to stress on students and teachers, there are also many tactics that can aid in the task which then can become achievable.

What are some of the more common causes of stress and alleviations to stress?

Causes of stress on students include the following: the SAT, ACT, and PSAT tests for colleges, subjects that are deemed frustrating, heaps of homework, and extracurricular activities (sports, clubs, etc.). While students can find ways to overcome their fear of their task, a vast majority cannot. Until the mid to late nineteenth-century, students were not faced with the increments of homework and sporting that twentieth to twenty-first century students have to face, as college is proven a more favorable route to success.

Four stress management tactics are as follows:

Time Management: As time may seem increasing difficult to keep track of for some people, an agenda or timetable is extremely useful and critical to plan what assignments are upcoming and due.

Sleep: While sleeping during tasks is considered unorthodox, not to mention it will not get the task done, it is seen as being self disciplined to plan out when to get periods of rest in a schedule. The average student in a Massachusetts school receives around 6 hours of sleep a night, which is unhealthy. The National Average for an American student is around 7.5 hours of sleep per night. The deprivation of sleep is mainly caused by procrastinating schoolwork to the long night hours because of the stress or video games to procastinate work.

Break time for thinking ‘outside the box’: When students study for a quiz or inquisition, they should only study for an hour before taking a ten minute break. During this time breaks should be used for a snack, even a quick walk or jog. When on break, students are recommended to visualize how to solve the problems on their homework and to find easier methods to aid in the solving of their issue. Ideas include using it as a song or an acronym.

Music: Popular music of the twenty-first century includes pop, rap, and rock. As these genres of music may seem enjoyable to a number of students, it is only written to keep people entertained, hyped and distracted; not written for studying. Music genres such as classical and early jazz pieces aid in a person’s relief of stress and boost memory. The classical genre also incites creativity which can lead to ‘out of the box’ thinking on situations.