Joey C’s Recruiting Tips

Joseph Carroll, Writer

1. Email Early

Try to email coaches early in your high school career, even if you aren’t good enough for their program right now it is a good idea to get a solid relationship with a coach that you could potentially spend four years of your life with. This will put you in the coach’s mind and make communication easier later on.

2.  Be Personal

If possible try to tell a little more about yourself than just your athletic side as it will help the coach connect to you and remember you. You should also to include a detail about the college or the team in your email as this shows that you have done research and value the college as an option.

3. Be Direct/Informative

Say your name, grad year, position and other key information in the subject so the coach is inclined to read the email. In addition, talk about your academics and ask questions about the school.

4. Email Lots of Coaches

When emailing a school try and email the assistant and position coaches as well as this gives you a better chance of getting a response. When emailing coaches though email them individually and don’t send out mass emails as coaches don’t like this. Try to make each email personal.

5. Keep on Top of Things

Try and email every two months to give updates or so or whenever something significant happens.Try to do this whether coaches respond to your first email or not as it gives updates to interested coaches and additional opportunities for contact with the other ones.

6. Be Realistic

Know around what level you will be able to play at in college. You don’t want to be chasing all the top coaches if you aren’t even a local all star. By knowing this information you will be able to save your self time and only talk to coaches at colleges that you might play at.

7. Don’t Act Entitled

When emailing coaches don’t brag too much and make it seem like you deserve to be on their team or that they need you to win. Unless you are a 5 star talent this is a great way to gain a bad reputation among coaches and will lessen your chance significantly to play at their school.

8. Make Connections

If possible talk about someone that you know that is related to the coach in someway. A common example of this is if you know someone that is on or was on their team at some point. This can give the coach a solid reference for you and it also shows that you are involved in even some little form of the program.

9. Go to Camps

If you can go to a recruiting camp this is a great way to get a lot of exposure and feedback from a lot of college coaches. If you are particularly interested in a certain college going to one of their sport specific camps is a great way to get recognized and acquainted with the staff.

10. Fill Out The Questionnaires

When you send an email make sure that you have filled out the recruiting questionnaire on the team’s website. It shows that you know what you’re doing and is something that coaches often ask you to fill out when you email. This gives them a base layer of information that they can use to evaluate you and build a relationship with you.

11. Go on Visits

You don’t know if you really like a school until you see it in person so an unofficial visit is a great way to feel out the campus and maybe even see the coach. You can go on official/overnight visits later that will give you a real feel for what it is like to live the life of a student athlete at that school and experience the team. This also lets you see if this place would be a good fit if you had a injury that made it so you couldn’t play sports and were only a student.

12. Sign up with the NCAA Eligibility Center

This is a quick form that coaches really prefer that their athletes fill out as soon as possible. It only takes around 15 minutes and it is required to play in the NCAA. This form simply acknowledges that a college coach or another interest hasn’t given you money or a car or something of that nature that has compromised your eligibility.

13. Keep Those Grades Up

Do your best in school because it is a huge part of where you will be able to play in college and will also be used to determine if you are eligible. You can’t go to a Power 5 conference with a 2.0 so make sure to always put school before sports.

14. Talk About the Team

Make sure to talk about your team to your coaches and highlight their accomplishments. This shows your maturity to coaches and shows them that you can work well with others.

15. Respect is Key

Respect everyone from your teammates to your coaches because word gets around about people who have bad attitudes. No coach wants someone on the team who is a distraction no matter how talented they are. An example of this is top basketball recruit Julian Newman who has NBA potential, but can’t get any D1 offers because of his big mouth and anger issues.

16. Take Control of Your Process

With any part of the recruiting process, including emails, make sure that you are the one that the contact goes through. Going through a parent makes you look immature, unorganized, and uncommitted.