Boys Soccer takes home another Sectional Championship

Ethan Bartucca, Sophomore Contributor

The Cohasset High Boys Soccer Team has officially begun playoffs, and the fans are amped. After falling short in the Division 4 State Championship last Fall, they are ready for revenge. With new additions such as Sam Fox, Jack Simmons, and Michael McDougald, accompanied by old faces Cam Pattison, Jay Frederick and Chris Longo, the Skippers began their playoff push. Opening the tournament as the #1 seed, the Skips rolled over #17 Millis by a whopping score of 9-1, moving onto Carver, who they handled by a pair of goals, ending at a score of 3-1. Following this win over Carver, the boys had a thrilling victory over 5-seed Nantucket, coming back from a two-goal deficit to squeak out another Sectional Finals birth.

Sunday the 12th was the Division 4 Sectional Championship vs. Bishop Connolly. The game started off quick for the Skippers, with Senior Jay Frederick netting a low beam right past the keeper in the 13th minute. This got Skipper Nation hyped, even Boston Herald sports writer, Greg Dudek tweeted “Cohasset may have the best student section that I’ve seen at the 7 soccer games I’ve covered this past week”. The game flow went stagnant after this, as Bishop Connolly began slowly gaining momentum. Despite many chances to start off the second half, Bishop Connolly couldn’t beat Cohasset junior keeper Ian Dunkelberger, a brick wall for the Skippers in this game. During extra time, the end of the road was near for Cohasset, but just when they thought it was sealed, Connolly drew a free kick around 40 yards out. Bishop Connolly booted a high lob that landed in traffic, barely squeaking by Dunkelberger. It was almost as if Cohasset just got its momentum squeezed out of them, and many were having deja vu of last year’s state championship, while trying not to rehash old wounds. As a result of this fluke play overtime ensued, Cohasset calmed its nerves and prepared to strike at the first opportunity that came to them. Five minutes into extra time, an opportunity developed for the Skippers. Junior Chris Longo craftily handled a hard pass on the left sideline, he stepped in and ran a give and go with Andrew Sullivan, and got the ball back around the 25-yard line. Longo gave it to Cam Pattison, patiently waiting on the 20. Cam one touched, splitting defenders as Mike McDougal collected it and put it right past the keeper, sealing a second consecutive Sectional Championship for the Skippers.

The Skips continue their playoff run Wednesday Night at the Manning Bowl in Lynn. Action begins at 7:00 pm vs. Boston International, a familiar foe from last season. Pack that fan bus and bring your support to Lynn Wednesday!